Wednesday, August 22, 2007

It's Not Easy Being Green

Ok, I'm not actually green... but I am different.

I have been different most of my life. Since elementary school.

When I was 7 or 8 years old, I wanted to be a fire fighter. Or a stunt driver. Maybe a doctor, or a mechanic. Stock Car racer was on my list, too.

By the time I was in high school, I wanted to be an astronaut. I looked into becoming a pilot in pursuit of that goal. I wanted to be a vetrinarian. I wanted to be a special effects technician. I wanted to be a computer programmer.

My friends were talking about who was cute, and how many kids they wanted. I was talking about what kind of truck I would drive, and how many dogs I wanted.

When they were buying lipstick, I was buying comic books.

They wanted to rent romantic movies. I wanted science fiction.

They were reading Teen magazines. I was reading Omni.

One day, they confronted me and asked me if I was a lesbian.

Ouch.

A couple of times, when rough-housing with them, apparently I accidentally touched someone somewhere private. Add that to the fact that I had no interest in looking for a boyfriend, and they thought I had sexual interest in them.

It took some time to get over that.

I am still different. Most people simply can't understand me -- or can't be bothered. Makes it hard to have close friendships.

Even my own husband had a problem with me being different. He was initially attracted to my sense of adventure and willingness to get my hands dirty. He thought of me as a unique individual.

Then he left me because I was not like other women.

It's not easy being green.

But green's the color of Spring.
And green can be cool and friendly-like.
And green can be big like an ocean,
or important like a mountain, or tall like a tree.

When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why wonder?
I'm green, and it'll do fine. It's beautiful!
And I think it's what I want to be.



Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was 7 or 8 years old...I wanted to be a racecar. Yes, the car. I blame Knight Rider.

3:47 p.m., August 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who wants to be like everyone else? Ya know, it's a cliche, but if we were all the same, it would just be potatoes. And as much as it may seem like, you're different, and everyone else is in some kind of group. It's not true. Everyone has things about them that make them feel separate and isolated from everyone else.

I like romance AND scifi ;)

4:45 p.m., August 28, 2007  
Blogger Anonymous said...

I am so tired of people assuming that if you're single and not actively "hunting for a man" you are a lesbian. Of course! Finding a man must be a woman's number one perogative! I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

4:01 a.m., August 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home