Thursday, November 01, 2007

Mom With Power Tools Returns

Unwilling to let one failure stop her, Mom With Power Tools embarks on a new project.

Well, not really new. Just something she has never attempted before. The project has been waiting to be done for two years or more (something JJ never got around to).

In typical manner, there is no overhead lighting in my living room. My dining room is at one end of the living room, and also has no overhead lighting. A couple of weeks ago, I bumped into my only lamp and broke it.

It has been very dark lately.

JJs sister was redecorating a couple of years ago, and JJ brought me a light fixture that she no longer needed. He intended to put a cord on it and hang it over the dining room table.

It never got done.

Today, Mom With Power Tools decided it was about time it was done.

Off to the hardware store, looking for suitable electrical wire for the job. Found "portable swag lighting kit". Nearly perfect. It has a pull-chain on the bulb socket. Locate a rocker switch. Now, it is perfect.

Back home, Mom disassembles the old light fixture. It now has no electrical parts. That makes it easy to wash... put it in the dishwasher! Now, it sparkles.

Thread wire through chain. Install two ceiling hooks. Splice rocker switch into electrical cord. Make sure fixture is dry, and wire it with the new light socket. Add one light bulb, hang the light, and plug it in.

I have light!

And to think I have always avoided electrical work. It is the only course I ever failed in school (34% - not even close to passing). Aptitude tests have revealed that I would be bored as an electrician. That does not mean I cannot do it. It just means I had no motivation to pass the course.

Mom With Power Tools has regained her confidence.

I can do anything!

I am Mom.

What's next?




Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home