Sunday, September 30, 2007

Good Evening, Madame Treasurer

A couple of weeks ago, I was phoned by the President of a local non-profit society, and asked if I would consider taking on the position of Treasurer.

Prior to that call, I was only vaguely aware of the existence of that society.

A friend was using their services.

Prez told me that they had been looking for a new treasurer, and that my name had been mentioned a couple of times as a reliable person, capable of doing the job.

Prez said "you are well-spoken of among your peers."

"My friends have been lying about me, have they?" I replied.

The Society does advocacy work for the poor and disabled, and operates an emergency shelter. They are also looking for ways to provide shelter for the local homeless population.

The commitment is only a few hours a month, mostly doing what I do at work. So I already know half of my job! I get to do some research on non-profit societies, and research is one of the things I love about my job.

I'm really excited about this! I have enough new stuff to learn to make the job interesting, with enough familiar stuff to avoid New-Job Stress.

And with me taking care of this previously-neglected position, Prez has more of his time available to help clients.

While we were talking today, I mentioned that one of my tax clients is working on a project called "The Hundred Dollar House"... it is a 10'X10' structure made of reclaimed materials. His idea was that it could be used to house the homeless.

Prez likes the sound of it.

Now I need to check my records and contact this client, see if he is interested in meeting with the Society, and possibly putting his project into practice.

Volunteer work always manages to make itself interesting.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home