Thursday, May 31, 2007

Divorce

Step One is complete.

I caught the 8am ferry into Vancouver and took transit to the Provincial Courthouse. I was there before 10am. I inquired as to the whereabouts of the Divorce counter, and found no line-up there. The agent read over my application, asked some questions to clarify some things, and we corrected what needed correcting. I paid the $218 and was walking out of the courthouse at 10:15 -- leaving a line-up behind me at the Divorce counter. I had a bite to eat, wandered around a bit, and caught transit back to the ferry. I was home by 2:30 -- before the kids got out of school.

For Step Two, there is quite a bit more paperwork to do. I can't file the next set of papers until after the one-year anniversary of the separation. We separated June 15, and June 16 is a Saturday, so I won't be able to take Step Two until June 18.

June 18 was the original date we had picked to get married. We changed the wedding date to June 25 shortly thereafter to accomodate another family event. I didn't want anyone to have to choose between my wedding and the other event, so we scheduled the wedding so both events could be attended.

After Step Two, I wait. A judge will review the file and either grant or deny a divorce. A "No" will come with notes and instructions on what needs to be addressed before divorce can be granted. Then I can re-file (no additional fee for that).

Once the Divorce is granted, I go on to Step Three: a 31 day waiting period... in case either party changes their mind.

After the 31 days is Step Four: Request a Divorce Certificate, then I am free to remarry.

So how do I feel about all of this?

I wanted to get the process started so I could get it finished. I was irritated about it a few days ago. Today, it was just something I needed to do.

I'm not sad. I'm not depressed. I'm not happy or excited.

It was just something that needed to be done.

And now, I've done it.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home